Weems Brass Stormglass in Black Gift Box
The Weems Stormglass is a mysterious weather predictor that is sure to intrigue. Thought to have been invented by an alchemist for Italian sailors, stormglass instruments have been in use since the 1750s. Admiral Fitzroy, the famous British sailor and meteorologist, mounted an instrument similar to the stormglass on the mast of HMS Beagle as a storm warning instrument during his historic voyage with Darwin in the 1830s. The premise of the Weems Stormglass is that changing weather affects the solubility of the mixture of chemicals in the sealed glass tube. Some believe that the changes in crystal structures have to do with the electromagnetic changes caused by weather and sun storms. This brass Weems Stormglass is a beautiful and unique gift for the home, boat or office.
• Sealed glass chamber holds the crystals and is encapsulated in a beautifully crafted brass cylinder.
• Can be displayed freestanding or mounted to a boat bulkhead or wall.
• Base, mounting accessory, finial & self tapping screw included.
• Packaged in a velvet-lined black gift box.
• Place stormglass in a location that avoids extreme heat or direct sunlight.
We Also Recommend
Dampened Deluxe Quartz Barograph
Weems Chrome Stormglass & Plaque Set